About David Bates
David Bates / December 13, 2023
About David Bates
In my real estate career that now stretches decades, I have been fortunate to work with a diverse range of clients who often had a wide array of real estate goals. Additionally, these clients have been about as geographically dispersed as a New England weather front.
I’ll be the first to admit that I can’t solve every real estate challenge and I certainly can’t consistently sell every single home for thousands of dollars more than every other able bodied real estate professional in the Hub, but if you ever contact me to discuss what you are hoping to get out of real estate, what I definitely can do is bring a good attitude to the customer service table. I’ll also bring a good track record, thousands of experiences to draw from and an open communication style.
FAQs ABOUT DAVE:
- Where I Sell: “Boston and it’s Better Suburbs,” including Back Bay, Beacon Hill, Brighton, Brookline, Cambridge, Charlestown, Dorchester, Jamaica Plain, Melrose, Medford, Natick, Needham, Newton, North End, South End, South Boston, Somerville, Melrose, Medford, Sudbury, Watertown, Wayland, Weston, Arlington, Lynn, Wellesley.I Grew up in the Waban section of Newton, MA
- What types of Buyer and Sellers I work with: I have frequently worked with first time home buyers, folks moving up or down the property ladder, luxury real estate buyers and sellers, as well as investors and developers. I have even worked with For Sale By Owners and folks whose listings expired with other agents.
Where I have Lived: in Brighton, Brookline, Charlestown the South End and Southern California.
- Positions I have had in Real Estate: I started out as a rental agent and eventually purchased the firm I worked at with partners. As the Broker/Owner/Manager of that firm in Brookline. I grew it from two people into one of Greater Boston’s eight largest residential brokerages
- Where I went to School: I graduated Syracuse University. I also completed “Real Estate Investment and Finance Fundamentals” at Harvard Extension School which according to the course catalog focused “on understanding, calculating and analyzing potential cash flow, tax and future benefits for representative real estate asset types from a variety of perspectives, including those of a developer, investor, lender or broker.” Celebrated by putting a 23-unit building under agreement the same day as the final.
- Some other real estate accomplishments I have had:
- I created and presented Boston’s most popular First Time Home Buyer seminar (2000-2005).
- I started and ran a very popular real estate investment club (1999-2004)
- I have been involved in a wide diversity of real estate investment acquisitions and sales including fixer-uppers, condominium conversions and income properties.
- I met my wife at an open house
- I won several sales awards working at Gibson Sotheby’s International Realty, Boston.
- I joined William Raveis Real Estate, the second largest company in the Greater Boston MLS and a company often voted best to work at.
- Since January 2011, I have written about trends in the marketplace for Boston.Curbed, Banker and Tradesman, and my own blog, www.BatesRealEstateReport.com. My thoughts about various aspects of the Hub real estate market have been quoted in numerous publications.